Music Movements

House influencers: Daft Punk
I am partially familiar with Daft Punk's work which is why I decided to pick them out of the house category. The group formed in 1993 when house music was beginning to become mainstream and chart-topping, and their work has influenced the direction that house music has gone since then. Their songs feature all the characteristics that house music should have, especially when it comes to the rhythms and bass lines. They have also had a number of music videos produced for their songs and actually have a series of animated videos that tell a short story about an alien band being brought to Earth, which I think is a perfect example of how they have incorporated technology into their music. They've basically turned their work into something like visual storytelling, and that to me is pretty cool.


Dubstep: Skrillex
I am also familiar with the work of Skrillex though I do find his music to be a bit too intense sometimes. I guess you could say I'm not too much of a fan of dubstep and how hard its rhythms, bass, and sub-bass can go. I do, however, appreciate it and think that Skrillex does a wonderful job of conveying just what dubstep is about through both his music and the music videos that go along with it. He is definitely not afraid to dig in deep with his music and videos as (or at least I believe) he is pushing the boundaries of what dubstep can really do. His work tests the limits, and I feel like that is definitely something some artists are afraid to do nowadays. As for technology, videos and shows seem to be Skrillex's platform as there is definitely a lot of technical prowess to both, especially when it comes to visual effects.


Girl Power: Icona Pop
I really admire Icona Pop because there aren't a lot of women that record or produce electronic songs. It's almost like there's a standard for women to only record pop or hip-hop or even rap, but this particular girl group breaks the norm, and that's definitely something that society needs these days. Their music videos are especially interesting because, if anything, they are almost like video art pieces. They have a kind of throwback vibe and the colors are slightly saturated which makes for a great effect. I feel it goes right along with the point they are trying to get across in their videos and I'm sure each video has its own meaning and own story. They also appear to make good use of technology by making their videos look like moving photographs instead of just a reel of film.


Electronic-Producer: David Guetta
David Guetta has been a smash hit for years and he is personally one of my favorite artists. I absolutely love his work and his music, especially when he does collaborations with other artists. His sound is so unique that you can usually tell when a song is by him, and I really believe that he has driven the electronic movement since the day he got into it. (Fun fact: according to Wikipedia, he's called the "grandfather of EDM"). He has topped the charts with his signature sound many times and his albums never cease to impress the crowds. Not to mention that his collaborations are usually fire. His videos are often staged and colored to match the tone of his songs, and though some may be sillier than others, they are all aesthetically pleasing to the eye and oftentimes have fun or entertaining plot lines. They really are works of art if you ask me and the use of technology is great. All in all, I really think that he's just been such a huge influence in making the electronic industry flourish and I hope he keeps doing what he's doing because he never ceases to impress!


Virtual: Gorillaz
Gorillaz work kind of reminds me of the work of Daft Punk, which is why I decided to pick them out of the crowd. They harness the power of animation just like Daft Punk does in their music videos by turning their band members into these animated gorilla-like characters and setting them in different scenes or in front of different backgrounds that go along with the tone or point of the song. They essentially create their own virtual world with just their band members, and it is really cool to watch because something like that, animation wise, is usually a slow-going process depending on how the animations are made. I think that it's really beautifully done, even though it's a little darker and rough, and it really shows how the virtual world cannot only be seen in films or tv shows but in the world of music too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raul Cuero Interview- Sparking Creativity

Flipbook

Video Art