Broadway Excerpts: My Favorite Shows

Fifty Percent
My two favorite renditions of Fifty Percent were the ones by Michael Feinstein and Barbara Streisand. It is a beautiful song and both singers voices were perfect for executing it. The ranges their voices could reach was absolutely amazing, and it even gave me chills watching both of their performances. There was so much expression and so much emotion, and it really resonated with me when I heard them sing.

Hair
What I really liked most about Hair was that it was very colorful. The set and the costumes all had colors that popped, even when the lighting was dim. The colors also really helped to establish the tone of the show, and did a nice job of conveying the message and theme the show was trying to get across. The vocals in some of the songs were almost mind-blowing too; they were very powerful, and the sound really traveled right around the stage and even into the audience. It was really very cool to see so many people singing at once like that, especially since they were all in harmony. 

Cats
Ever since I had the opportunity to play the "Memory" score in my high school orchestra, I have loved listening to the song. Seeing it performed by Betty Buckley only made me love it more; it is such a powerful piece, and it has so much emotion to it that it can move an entire audience. It is another one of those songs that gives me chills every time I hear it, and I don't think I would ever get tired of listening to it.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory has always been a favorite of mine, and seeing it performed on Broadway, though it was a quick excerpt, was very cool. It was very colorful, and a lot of work clearly went into the making of the set. It was very reminiscent of both adaptations of the movie (the Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp adaptations), and the actors seemed to do a wonderful job of portraying their characters. The costumes were also well-designed, and seemed to match the traits of the characters that were played.

The Color Purple
I love the message this piece sends. It really goes out on a limb to show the hardships of lesbianism and what it is like to be in an abusive relationship. There is no fear of portraying this message either, just like when Alice Walker wrote the novel. The music is very catchy and does a wonderful job of bringing the piece to life. This is one of the broadway plays I would absolutely love to see live because I really admire the wit and creativity that it has.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Raul Cuero Interview- Sparking Creativity

Flipbook

Video Art